Guwahati: Assam government is awaiting the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) approval to start the bus and rail service between Barak Valley of and Syleth district in Bangladesh.
The proposal to start bus service between Silchar and Sylhet district where the driving distance between two destinations is only 111 kilometre has been hanging for quite some time.
Secondly, the state government has also urged the centre for reviving the defunct railway transit facility between India and Bangladesh through Mahisasan point on the international border in Karimganj district of Assam.
The rail connect from Assam to Bangladesh has been mooted on lines of the 13-km railway link between Agartala in Tripura and Akhaura in Bangladesh.
Mahisasan is a border railway station. The corresponding station on the Bangladesh side is Shahbajpur (also known as Latu) in Sylhet district. The border station is linked to Karimganj 11 km away. The Mahisasan-Shahbajpur route has not been operational since December, 1996 due to lack of traffic.
Assam logs 114 new COVID-19 cases, one more fatality
- Here’s how India’s warming nights impact health
- Manipur: Lawyer, businessman file plea in SC against internet ban
- Meghalaya buying power worth Rs 3 crore every day: CM Sangma
- Pakistan may pull out of Asia Cup after SL, Afghan, Bangladesh reject ‘Hybrid Model’
- Odisha train crash: Assam man recalls co-traveler’s severed head on chest
- Meghalaya Cabinet to amend memo on roster system