Guwahati: Assam government is awaiting the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) approval to start the bus and rail service between Barak Valley of and Syleth district in Bangladesh.
The proposal to start bus service between Silchar and Sylhet district where the driving distance between two destinations is only 111 kilometre has been hanging for quite some time.
Secondly, the state government has also urged the centre for reviving the defunct railway transit facility between India and Bangladesh through Mahisasan point on the international border in Karimganj district of Assam.
The rail connect from Assam to Bangladesh has been mooted on lines of the 13-km railway link between Agartala in Tripura and Akhaura in Bangladesh.
Mahisasan is a border railway station. The corresponding station on the Bangladesh side is Shahbajpur (also known as Latu) in Sylhet district. The border station is linked to Karimganj 11 km away. The Mahisasan-Shahbajpur route has not been operational since December, 1996 due to lack of traffic.
- India, CARICOM nations agree to work on global issues including climate change
- Demand for sand in Bangladesh escalates illegal activities, threatens environment
- India and Nepal agree to take Sapta Kosi high dam project forward
- ‘Serial’ podcast’s Adnan Syed has murder conviction vacated. How common are wrongful convictions?
- Nagaland failed to submit Rs 600 cr utilisation certificates for 251 projects: CAG
- What’s this ‘longevity’ diet, and will it really make you live longer?