Guwahati: Assam Cricket Association (ACA) ex-secretary Pradeep Buragohain has been arrested by the police on charges of embezzlement of state cricket board fund to the tune of Rs 50 crore.
A case of corruption was filed at Guwahati’s Fatashil Police station by ACA Chief Executive Officer Pritam Mahanta, who alleged that the ex-ACA official had embezzled funds to the tune of Rs 50 crore.
Pradeep Buragohain was arrested from Tingkhang by the Fatashil Police following the case filed against the ex-official.
Devajit Lon Saikia, Secretary, Assam Cricket Association, told EastMojo, “This is very unfortunate that a senior sports official was involved in such activity. We want to set a precedence that in future no body misuses public money. We found that during the period June 2016- June 2019 funds were misappropriated painting works and earth filling works He also used ACA funds for travel of his family members. There are also two three people are involved.”
This latest case of corruption in the ACA will raise more names involved in the multi-crore scam, he added.
- What is click chemistry that won chemist trio Nobel Prize?
- Good coffee vs bad coffee: Curious tastes of cultural omnivores
- India announce 21-member squad for FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup
- Doomsday bunkers, Mars and ‘The Mindset’: the tech bros trying to outsmart the end of the world
- Scientists find new evidence for liquid water on Mars
- Salman Rushdie among bookie favourites in UK to win Nobel Prize