Goalpara: Assam Forest Department personnel on Thursday rescued five elephants that were trapped in a pond in Goalpara district, official sources said.
The pachyderms had fallen into the pond under the Lakhipur forest division of the district late on Wednesday night.
“People in nearby areas were the first to learn of the incident and they alerted the local forest officials. The elephants were rescued at around 10 am,” the official said.
He added that banks of the pond were dug up with the help of an excavator and the elephants climbed out on their own.
- Experts identify 63 Australian animals likely to go extinct by 2041
- Pakistan’s ex-PM Imran Khan calls for march to Islamabad on May 25
- Ethnic poverty: dividing and excluding people keeps them poor
- Lankan court extends travel ban on ex governor of Central Bank of Sri Lanka
- The Johnny Depp-Amber Heard trial shows the dangers of fan culture
- Beijing bristles at Biden’s ‘yes’ for US military intervention if China invades Taiwan