Guwahati: Sportstar hosted the first-ever North-East Sports Conclave on Friday, November 26, in Guwahati where a host of speakers discussed key issues pertaining to the sports ecosystem in the region.
Assam Chief Minister Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma shared his vision for sports development for the region, while Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports Anurag Singh Thakur delivered the keynote address.
The presence of Tokyo 2020 Olympic medal winners — weightlifter Mirabai Chanu (Silver Medalist) and boxer Lovlina Borgohain (Bronze Medalist) – were the highlight of the occasion.
The full-day conclave had different segments including a panel discussion on North-East Sports and Infrastructure. Jayanta Talukdar, Olympic archer, boxer Sarita Devi, gold medalist at World Championship, Pramod Boro, chief Bodoland Territorial Council, and Tetea Hmar, secretary, Mizoram Football Association, discussed the traditional sports of the northeast.
There was also a discussion on how to make the northeast the sports hub of India.
Bhaichung Bhutia, former Indian football captain, Satish K Sarhadi, Director – SAI, RC Guwahati, Kothajit Singh, India hockey player and M. C. Mary Kom, Olympic bronze medalist also shared their views on the occasion.
Other attendees included Robert Romawia Royte (Mizoram Sports Minister), Bimal Bora (Assam Sports Minister), Larsing Ming Sawyan (President Meghalaya Football Association) and Abu Metha (Advisor to Nagaland CM).
Bhogeswar Baruah, the first Assamese to win Asian Games gold in 1966 (800 metres), was felicitated at the event. The conclave was held in association with Directorate of Information and Public Relations Assam, IOC, SBI and LIC India.
The first edition of the Sportstar Sports Conclave was held in July in Kerala.
- Money and power vs the challenge of a ‘clean’ election in Nagaland
- Congress Tripura manifesto promises old pension scheme, free 150 units of electricity
- For volleyball nationals, Tripura sent a 6-member men’s team. Why?
- Assam: Crackdown on child marriage continues, total arrests 2,441
- Hillary Clinton to meet salt pan workers on 2nd day of Gujarat visit
- Shah assures delegation from Sikkim of intervention amid protests over SC observation