Tinsukia: A fire broke out at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Assam Medical College and Hospital’s Paediatric ward in Dibrugarh on Wednesday evening. However, no casualties were reported in the incident.
The incident comes close on the heels of a fire in the neonatal ward of a hospital in Madhya Pradesh that claimed the lives of 4 infants.
Confirming the incident, AMCH principal Sanjeev Kakoti said, “One of the ventilators in the paediatric ward caught fire this evening. Immediately, around a dozen babies, including three in that section, were safely evacuated from the building and shifted in another building, and the fire was brought under control.”
“According to preliminary information, the fire took place due to a short circuit. However, no damage has been reported inside the paediatric ward except the ventilator, which was gutted,” Kakoti said.
“The entire building has been vacated and an electrical audit will be undertaken to detect the exact cause of the fire.”
According to sources, panic gripped the hospital after the fire broke out. “The fire broke out in a ventilator donated from the PM Cares Fund,” said sources.
However, principal Kakoti could not confirm the same. “There are several ventilators in the paediatric ward donated under various schemes and needs to be checked which ventilator caught fire,” the principal said.
- Afghan talks focus on aid, women’s rights as hunger grows
- Biden to meet Qatar leader as energy worries loom in Europe
- Diplomacy, prayers: Things to know about the Ukraine crisis
- Mizoram logs 1,756 new Covid-19 cases, 4 deaths
- Mizoram making massive efforts to control drug menace: Guv in R-Day speech
- Assam: Paragliding accident at Tinsukia resort claims one life