Guwahati: The Assam Pradesh Congress Committee (APCC) launched a special membership drive on Monday with a target of enrolling 33 lakh new members over the next five months.
The initiative was inaugurated by Assam Pradesh Congress Committee (APCC) working president Rana Goswami at the state party headquarters here, APCC spokesperson Ratul Kalita said in a statement.
The exercise, which was formally launched with the renewal of membership of Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Debabrata Saikia, will continue till March 31 next year.
Addressing a press conference at the venue, Goswami said this special membership drive was part of a nationwide exercise by the Congress.
The drive will be carried out right at the grassroots level and a special committee will monitor the process at the state level, he said.
Goswami urged the existing members to renew their membership as the party will be conducting its organisational elections next year and a valid membership will be mandatory for those aspiring for any official position.
The new enrolment facility will be available online also, and a new website of the state unit of the party will be launched soon, the APCC working president said.
- Nagorno-Karabakh: Longest war in post-Soviet space flares yet again
- What is space mining?
- Tourist statistics in Mizoram show modest growth in 2022-23
- The fraught history of India and the Khalistan movement
- Arunachal Congress slams China over treatment of Wushu players
- Mizoram: Former ZPM members speak out, allege deception