Golaghat (Assam): Four animals, including an elephant of the forest department, died of electrocution by APDCL pole and cables inside Assam’s Kaziranga National Park (KNP) on Monday, an official said.
The elephant, a wild deer and two boars were killed near Haticamp area of the KNP when transmission cables and a pole of Assam Power Distribution Company Limited (APDCL) fell on them.
A chain tied to a leg of the pachyderm got stuck in the pole and when the elephant pulled it, the pole and the cables fell to the ground. The animals came in contact with the live wire and died, KNP director P Sivakumar said.
The lines were disconnected during the monsoon as animals use the area, but the connection were restored after the rainy season ended, he said.
Sivakumar said work to shift the power lines from inside the KNP has started in 2018 and it is yet to be completed.
- BSF Guwahati div caught 141 Indian, 117 Bangladeshi smugglers in 2021
- Arunachal Cong questions BJP’s silence over youth’s ‘abduction’ by Chinese army
- Students, groups question modus operandi of cop encounters post Nagaon ‘attack’
- Nagaland reports 69 new COVID-19 cases, 2 fresh fatalities
- Farmer returns for sweet revenge after car showroom ‘humiliated’ him
- About 135 militants waiting across border to infiltrate into Kashmir: IG BSF