Guwahati: All the 39 nomination papers filed for by-polls to five Assam assembly constituencies have been found valid during scrutiny on Monday, an official statement said.
The seats where by-polls in Assam will be held on October 30 are Gossaigaon, Tamulpur, Thowra, Bhabanipur and Mariani.
Among the 39, the prominent candidates are Phanidhar Talukdar (Bhabanipur), Rupjyoti Kurmi (Mariani) and Sushanta Borgohain (Thowra) of the BJP and the Congress’ Luhit Konwar (Mariani).
The last day for withdrawal of nomination is October 16. Votes will be counted on November 2.
Assam by-polls were necessitated due to death and resignation of sitting MLAs.
While the legislators of Gossaigaon and Tamulpur died, the incumbents of Bhapanipur, Mariani and Thowra resigned as members of the assembly and joined the ruling BJP.
The Gossaigaon seat was won by the UPPL in the elections held earlier this year, while the BPF had bagged Tamulpur. Mariani and Thowra had Congress MLAs, and Bhabanipur was cornered by the AIUDF.
- India’s SARAS telescope gives clues to first stars, galaxies of universe
- Pakistani Taliban ends ceasefire; orders its militants to carry out attacks
- UK delivering on new FTA with India, says Rishi Sunak
- Meghalaya: Govt considering jobs for dependents of Mukroh victims
- Meghalaya: State limping back to normalcy after Mukroh violence, says CM
- Mukroh incident linked to timber smuggling, not border dispute: Special DGP