Guwahati: Thirty-nine candidates filed their nomination papers on Friday for the by-election to the five assembly constituencies in Assam, as per an official statement.
The seats going to the polls on October 30 are Gossaigaon, Tamulpur, Thowra, Bhabanipur and Mariani.
Among the candidates who filed their nominations are BJP’s Phanidhar Talukdar (Bhabanipur), BJP’s Rupjyoti Kurmi and Congress’s Luhit Konwar (Mariani), and BJP’s Sushanta Borgohain (Thowra).
Friday was the last day for filing nominations.
The votes will be counted on November 2.
Bypolls in Gossaigaon and Tamulpur were necessitated due to the death of the sitting MLAs, while the incumbents of Bhapanipur, Mariani and Thowra resigned from their seats to join the ruling BJP.
Gossaigaon seat was won by the UPPL in the elections held earlier this year, while BPF had bagged Tamulpur. Mariani and Thowra had Congress MLAs, and Bhabanipur was cornered by AIUDF.
Also read: Active COVID-19 cases in country lowest in 206 days
- Are flu cases already 100 times higher than last year? Here’s what we really know about the 2023 flu season
- Antibiotics shouldn’t be used in Covid unless suspicion of bacterial infection: Centre
- How financial stress can affect your mental health
- Air India to temporarily reduce flights on some US routes: CEO
- Long COVID: what we know about how it affects mental health
- India to host 2023 SAFF Championships in Bengaluru