Tinsukia: The Dibrugarh police conducted raids and arrested two alleged bookies for betting on the ongoing IPL tournament on Wednesday.
The accused have been identified as Shakti Singh, 27, and Sahid Khan, 39.
Confirming the development, Superintendent of Dibrugarh police Shwetank Mishra said the police team conducted raids based on information and arrested two youths from Amolapatty and Graham Bazar area in Dibrugarh town.
Explaining the modus operandi, Mishra said they were involved in providing user IDs and passwords to allow participation in IPL betting through online mode.
“They were also collecting payments. During interrogation, the accused have revealed names of others involved in IPL betting. We are examining the information and more arrests are likely to be made soon,” added Mishra.
Appealing to citizens, particularly youths, to stay away from IPL betting and other forms of gambling, Mishra has sought cooperation from citizens to share information on IPL betting.
While there are reports of an IPL betting syndicate active in various districts of Assam, the Dibrugarh Police has registered a case under section 14/15 of the Assam Game & Betting Act.
- Nagaland killing: Video claims Army tried to hide victims’ bodies after botched operation
- Centre expresses regret over Nagaland firing incident
- AFSPA should be repealed: Meghalaya CM Conrad Sangma
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer for Dec 6
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for Dec 6
- Nagaland killings: Candlelight vigils, protests held across Manipur