New Delhi: Three Assam MLAs, who had quit their assembly membership and parties to join the BJP, were on Monday named its candidates for the by-polls necessitated by their resignation.
The BJP said Phanidhar Talukdar, Rupjyoti Kurmi and Sushanta Borgohain will be its candidates for the by-polls to Bhabanipur, Mariani and Thowra seats, respectively.
Kurmi, an important tea tribe leader, and Borgohain had quit the Congress, while Talukdar resigned from the AIUDF to join the BJP after the saffron party retained power in the state following the recent assembly elections.
The development was seen as an exercise by Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma to further consolidate the position of his party by inducting important opposition leaders into its fold.
The by-polls to these assembly seats will be held on October 30.
- More than 720 children, women rescued by RPF: Official
- ‘Tar’ review: Cate Blanchett’s stellar performance marks the highlight
- Rupee may remain under depreciation pressure: Economic Survey
- Two from Manipur, one from Assam win Sunsilk Mega Miss North East 2022
- Notification issued for Nagaland elections, no nomination on Day 1
- From bad omen to treasured friends: how Hargila found home in Assam