Kokrajhar (Assam): The United People’s Party, Liberal (UPPL), an ally of the ruling BJP in Assam, on Sunday announced the list of candidates for the October 30 by-elections in Gossaigaon and Tamulpur assembly constituencies.
The party nominated Jiran Basumatary for Gossaigaon and Jolen Daimary for Tamulpur, UPPL working president Rwngwra Narzary said at a press conference.
While Daimary is a new face, Basumatary is a member of the Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC), an autonomous council for the Bodoland Territorial Region (BTR).
Narzary said the candidates were selected in consultation with Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and state BJP president Bhabesh Kalita.
By-polls to Gossaigaon and Tamulpur Assembly constituencies in BTR were necessitated by the death of sitting MLAs Majendra Narzary and Leho Ram Boro respectively due to Covid-19.
- Assam: G20 delegates mesmerised by diverse culture and hospitality
- India, France, UAE unveil plan for cooperation under trilateral framework
- Sri Lanka must correct its ‘errors and failures’: President at 75th I-Day
- Nagaland govt restrict drugs sale to fight drug menace, pharma trafficking
- Assam: Chargesheet against doctors, magistrate in minor’s murder case
- Nagaland: Rs. 28.96 cr in cash, IMFL, drugs seized ahead of Assembly polls