Guwahati: Opposition party Raijor Dal (RD) on Wednesday said that it will contest two out of five assembly seats in Assam where bypolls will be held on October 30, party chief Akhil Gogoi said.
Akhil Gogoi said that the party has decided to contest Thowra and Mariani seats and hopes to win both. The two constituencies were bagged by Congress but its MLAs later resigned and switched over to the BJP.
“Dhaijya Konwar will contest Thowra on behalf of RD, and we will declare our Mariani candidate soon,” Gogoi told reporters.
He also appealed to the Congress, with whom RD had tried to project common candidates for the by-polls to defeat the ruling NDA, to support their nominees.
“If the Congress supports us, we will campaign for them in the remaining four seats,” the Raijor Dal chief said.
Bypoll will also be held in three other seats in Assam — Bhabanipur, Tamulpur and Gossaigaon. Though Majuli is also vacant, by-poll will not be held there this time as Union minister Sarbananda Sonowal resigned from the MLA’s post just hours before the schedule was announced by the EC.
Akhil Gogoi is the lone RD legislator in the 126-member assembly, and he was elected as an Independent.
The BJP now has 59 MLAs, while its allies AGP has nine, and UPPL has five legislators. Congress has 27 lawmakers, AIUDF 15, BPF three and CPI(M) has one member in the House.
- Sikkim floods: 10 dead, 82 missing, 14 bridges collapse
- Arunachal CM expresses sadness, shock at Sikkim floods
- Sikkim Police notifies road situation; check details here
- Handkerchief or tissue? Which one’s better for our health and the planet?
- Assam: Half marathon event to be held on Oct 29 in Dibrugarh
- RBI approves merger of North East Small Fin Bank, fintech unicorn Slice