Guwahati: Assam Lok Sabha MP Gaurav Gogoi on Tuesday wrote to Railway minister Ashwini Vaishnaw, making a case for the extension of Vistadome tourist special train services to Silchar in Barak Valley of the state.
He said if the route of the train is not extended till Silchar, the objectives of ensuring connectivity as well as making economic gains through it will not be achieved.
The special train services between Guwahati and New Haflong railway stations were flagged off on August 28. It will initially run twice a week.
The project’s focus is rightly placed on ensuring connectivity and reaping the economic benefits of tourism in Assam. But, it is highly doubtful whether the short distance covered by the proposed train will be able to do either of these, Gogoi said.
Barak Valley provides a picturesque landscape, adorned with rich flora and fauna. Sharing borders with Bangladesh, it allows tourists to experience the unique geographical panorama along with the cultural traditions of Assam, the Congress leader added.
- Vishwakarma Puja 2021: Wishes, greetings and significance
- Vishwakarma Puja: Ancient marvels designed by the divine architect
- Assam: Biswanath girl, in shorts, made to wrap curtain to sit for exam
- Not an inch should be given to Assam: Meghalaya Opposition
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19