Nagaon: Two girls were rescued by the police in Assam’s Hojai district, officials said on Friday.
On being informed that a 16-year-old girl was married to a man, the district Childline along with police conducted a special operation on Thursday evening and rescued the girl, they said.
The man, however, managed to escape and a search operation was launched to nab him, they added.
In another incident, a girl was brought here by a man from Dimapur in Nagaland, officials said.
She was also rescued in an operation by the Childline and the police.
The man, who is alleged to have married two more girls, gave the police a slip and a search is on to arrest him, officials said.
The two rescued girls were sent to the Hojai Child Welfare Centre after their medical examination, they said.
- A story of two mothers from a human-elephant conflict zone in Assam
- Meghalaya 2023: Lyngdoh sisters from Shillong file nominations
- India’s budget will be ray of hope for world: PM Modi
- Northeast India weather: Winter chill to give way to warmer days
- Guaranteed win: Ex-Tripura MLA’s family is contesting from 3 parties
- Nagaland 2023: Ceasefire board bans NSCN groups from carrying arms