Kokrajhar: The Assam police shot down three suspected bank robbers as they tried to rob a bank in Assam’s Kokrajhar district, police said on Sunday.
DGP Bhaskar Jyoti Mahanta said the dacoits were targeting the bank at Chengmari in Kokrajhar and when intercepted, opened fire on police. Police retaliated and three dacoits from South Salmara and Goalpara districts were injured and subsequently succumbed to their injuries, he said.
“Vehicles, tools, gas cutters, two pistols along with oxygen cylinders were recovered from the area. Operation was on till late night to flush out the rest of the dacoits,” the DGP said on Twitter.
Police said they laid an ambush based on specific intelligence inputs about a gang that was planning to rob an Allahabad Bank branch at Bhotgaon near Kokrajhar town, police had laid an ambush before the gun fight occurred late on August 21 night.
“When the dacoits were intercepted, they opened fire on our personnel. After which, in retaliatory fire by Police, three dacoits were injured, who later succumbed to their injuries,” the Kokrajhar police said.
Assam chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has maintained that the state police have “full authority” to deal with criminals and unlawful elements in the ambit of the law, making “police encounters” in Assam a norm. The latest incident takes the total number of deaths to 21, while 33 persons have been injured since Sarma became chief minister on May 10.
- Northeast: By-polls to 10 Assembly constituencies on Oct 10. Details here
- Concerned over youths trying to float militant outfit: Meghalaya CM Sangma
- Petrol, diesel prices hiked; more to come as crude nears USD 80/barrel
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 28
- Assam reports eight COVID-19 deaths, 412 new cases
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 28