Guwahati: Betel nuts and cardamoms suspected to have been smuggled from Myanmar were seized from a train, while another consignment of drugs along with smuggled areca nuts was recovered from a bus coming from Mizoram in separate incidents in Assam on Tuesday, police said.
The recovery of the smuggled items at Guwahati Railway Station was made by the Government Railway Police Force.
Smugglers tried using the rail route – we steam rolled them. 40 bags suspected Burmese Supari & 20 gunny bags suspect Burmese Elaichi seized from 5933 Tinsukia Amritsar Dn Express at Guwahati Railway Station, Assam Police tweeted.
The consignment was booked from Dimapur to New Jalpaiguri.
Another consignment of drugs along with smuggled betel nuts was seized by the Assam Police from a bus coming from Mizoram during checking at Lailapur border in Cachar district, police officers said.
Twenty bags of smuggled Burmese betel nuts along with 24 grams heroin in two soap cases were found in the bus, which was coming from Vairengte in Mizoram, they said.
The driver of the bus, identified as Lalroetuanga, was arrested, they added.
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had earlier hinted that drugs were being smuggled into Assam through Mizoram.
- Manipur: Drug smuggler held with brown sugar worth Rs 6 crore
- Pawan Hans helicopter services launched in 4 sectors in Assam
- HC relief for Assam man whose late mother was declared ‘foreigner’
- Bengal Guv addresses to assembly, BJP MLAs stage walkout
- Half his plants died, but this Ukhrul farmer never gave up: Here’s why
- Sundance festival catapulting Indian documentaries to the Oscars