Golaghat (Assam): Olympic bronze medallist Lovlina Borgohain will be visiting home for the first time on Tuesday after the triumph in Tokyo, with preparations in full swing in Assam’s Golaghat district to welcome her.
Lovlina Borgohain will be coming home for a brief visit this time. The villagers are preparing in a big way, the star boxer’s father, Tiken Borgohain, told PTI.
Borgohain said she will be staying for only one night as felicitation programmes and other engagements have been scheduled over the next few days in different cities.
Lovlina will be able to come home for an extended period only after August 25, her father said.
The 23-year-old boxer is slated to fly to Dimapur in Nagaland and then proceed to her Baromukhia residence in Barpathar area by road, BJP MLA Biswajit Phukan told PTI.
Lovlina Borgohain will attend a public felicitation programme at Barpathar HS School playground, where several ministers, including Ajanta Neog and Bimal Bora, will be in attendance , the Sarupathar legislator added.
She had visited Guwahati on August 12 when she was honoured by Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.
Lovlina Borgohain became only the third Indian boxer to finish on the Olympic podium, joining two of the biggest icons in Indian boxing — six-time world champion M C Mary Kom and the very-decorated Vijender Singh.
- BSF hands over 13-year-old Bangladeshi boy to BGB in a goodwill gesture
- FIFA-approved Bhaichung Stadium set for inauguration on October 20
- OIL gets 25 blocks under Open Acreage Licensing Policy: OIL chief
- The Last Mughal: A requiem for the last ‘King’ & the first war for ‘Freedom’
- CM Sarma bats for increased use of green fuel
- Eviction, identity and shifting sands: A ground report from Sipajhar, Assam