Nagaon (Assam): Two persons, including an employee of the Assam forest department, were arrested for their alleged involvement in the smuggling of rhino horns, an official said on Thursday.
Officials of the Eastern Assam Wildlife Division nabbed the two on Wednesday following interrogation of an alleged poacher and wildlife organ smuggler who was arrested earlier.
The duo was identified as Abdul Ali and Bimala Saikia who is an employee of the Kaziranga National Park, famous for its one-horned rhinos, Divisional Forest Officer Ramesh Kumar Gogoi said.
It was alleged that Ali sold a rhino horn to the arrested “poacher and smuggler” and it was provided to him by Saikia.
The forest employee was arrested earlier in a similar case and is now out on bail, Gogoi added.
- Bengaluru FC beat gritty Army Green 3-2 to enter Durand Cup semifinals
- Assam claims PFI behind police-peasant conflict in Sipajhar
- Arunachal will benefit most from oil palm cultivation: Khandu
- Legislature needs to revisit laws to suit ‘practical realities’: CJI
- Cong questions Shah’s silence over Assam border row, Sipajhar
- Under Taliban, thriving Afghan music scene heads to silence