Itanagar: The Assam Rifles and Arunachal Pradesh Police apprehended one Wangai Wangpan, a self-styled corporal of the NSCN (K-YA) following a fierce gunfight at the outskirts of Jongphohate Village in Changlang district recently.
Officials said following inputs from various sources regarding the movement of armed active cadres of the NSCN (K-YA) in the district, the Assam Rifles along with the state police launched a search operation and the presence of the cadres was confirmed in outskirts of Jongphohate Village in Yatdam circle.
When the security forces zeroed in on the spot they came under a heavy volume of fire to which they retaliated in self-defence. The fire fight lasted for quite some time. A column that cautiously moved ahead noticed the presence of a suspected individual hiding in the thick jungle following which they cordoned the area and apprehended the cadre, officials said.
An extensive search was carried on in the area after which the security forces recovered a huge cache of arms and ammunition.
While the rest managed to escape taking cover in the forested area, the search operation to nab them is under progress, officials added.
- Maha CM, ministers visit Guwahati to pay obeisance to Goddess Kamakhya
- Mizoram: More Kuki-Chin refugees arrive from Bangladesh
- FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Beaming misogyny around the world
- Mukroh firing: NGOs burn Conrad Sangma, Himanta effigies in Shillong
- Mumbai: 10 women among 17 foreigners booked for working in film industry without visa
- Govt doing everything possible to strengthen judicial system: Rijiju