A 12- hour bandh was observed starting 5 am on Wednesday in the Barak Valley comprising three districts, Cachar, Hailakandi and Karimganj, which share border with Mizoram, to protest the killing of seven people, including six cops in deadly border clash between Mizoram and Assam on Monday.
WATCH VIDEO HERE:
The bandh was called by Barak Democratic Front (BDF) and supported by other political outfits, including opposition AIUDF and other social organisations.
The Barak Valley bandh affected normal life in the three districts as all business establishments remained closed.
BDF Chief Convenor Pradip Dutta Ray said that people have spontaneously extended their support to the bandh.
“We were compelled to call this bandh as our police personnel have died and there must be a permanent solution to the dispute. We do not want any more bloodshed,” he said.
- ZPM sweeps Mizoram elections
- Nagaland: 2 years on, Konyaks, NSF remember Oting incident
- AK Mishra an advisor to Home Ministry, not an interlocutor: Tripura CM
- Mizoram elections: Zoramthanga resigns after MNF loss
- Despite having a simple plot, David Fincher’s ‘The Killer’ is an intriguing film
- New milestone: Three women emerge winners in Mizoram elections