Guwahati: It has been more than three months since the charred remains of a 12-year-old Karbi girl illegally employed in the house of one Prakash Borthakur were found by Raha Police officials revealing a practice of employing Karbi children in affluent households across the state. On Tuesday, the Gauhati High Court hearing the petition of the slain girl’s mother asked Nagaon Police to file the chargesheet by July 22.
Earlier on July 16, Justice Prasanta Kumar Deka ordered the Home Department to initiate a coordinated action against the practice of employing children as household help.
According to Robising Ronghang, one of the lawyers representing Basapi Kropi, the mother, Assam Government had asked for more time to investigate the matter in June. “We submitted before the court that delays in furnishing investigation reports had led to the accused getting a bail even with substantial evidence,” Ronghang told Eastmojo. The lawyer further added that the Assam government is yet to furnish the report of a one-person committee to investigate the girl’s death which was led by Commissioner of Central Assam district, Moloy Bora, before the court.
Although Nagaon Police and preliminary forensic examination of the remains of the girl ruled out sexual assault on the girl, according to Ronghang, the forensic department is yet to furnish their report. “Further examination has been done on the remains of the body. We are yet to see the results. We have submitted that the Assam government should place all these reports on the record,” added Ronghang.
In the Gauhati High Court, renowned lawyers, Bijon Mahajan and Nimish Mahajan are representing the family of the victim. According to Nimish Mahajan, the court has set the next date for July 28. “As per procedure, the chargesheet may have been filed in the lower court. But we are not sure if it will be the final one. Similarly, the Assam government has not filed a forensic report,” Nimish Mahajan told Eastmojo.
On July 16, lawyers had submitted before the court for the strict implementation of the provisions of Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities), 1989 and appointment of a special public prosecutor under Section 15 of the Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) in this case.
Nagaon Superintendent of Police, Anand Mishra, told EastMojo that the chargesheet has been completed on time. “As per procedure, we have submitted it in the lower court,” Mishra said. On the other hand, K. Goswami, a senior advocate representing Assam Government stated before the court that Rs 8.25 lakh is being sanctioned as compensation for the victim’s family.