During the ongoing budget session of the Assam Assembly on Wednesday, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma gave figures of drugs seized over the past few months.
Watch video here:
In reply to Khumtai constituency MLA Mrinal Saikia, the CM said that Assam Police registered 1,021 cases related to drug smuggling in the past 2-3 months and 1,897 persons were arrested in Assam’s war on drugs.
“27.6 kg heroin, 12,823 kg ganja, 41 kg opium, 78,000 bottles of cough syrup, 13,63,183 Yaba tablets have been seized in the past 2-3 months,” the CM said, adding that ₹1.8 crores in cash was also seized during the same period.
The Assam police also registered 1,021 drug-related cases with 1,897 arrests during this period.
In a written reply to Saikia’s question, the CM said 4,179 drug-related cases were registered and 6,690 persons were arrested in Assam between January 2016 and July 5, 2021.
- 45 BJP MPs across India have kin in politics: Assam Congress lawmaker
- Nagaland logs 31 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality
- BJP plans to add six more organisational districts in Assam
- UK includes Covishield in approved vaccine list for travel but keeps India out
- Rs 50,000 ex-gratia to kin of those who lost lives to COVID: Centre to SC
- Border issue: Khasi Hills council chief unhappy over exclusion