Guwahati: Over Rs 7.44 crore has been collected as penalty for violating protocol and different COVID-19 restrictions across Assam in 2020, the state assembly was informed on Monday.
In a written reply to a query by Congress MLA Nurul Huda, Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said the fine amount stood at Rs 7,44,38,100 last year.
Out of this, the highest sum of Rs 4.44 crore was realised from people not wearing masks, while Rs 2.15 crore was paid as fine by those with pillion riders in motorcycles, he said.
The Assam government had levied Rs 500 as penalty for not wearing masks and riding pillion in motorcycles. For second-time violators, the amount was Rs 1,000.
The chief minister added that the entire sum has been deposited at the treasury under the ‘Taxes on Vehicle’ category.
- Dussehra 2022: Quotes and wishes to share with loved ones
- BTS returns for special ‘Run BTS’ episode, performs ‘fly yoga’
- Sustainable development important in protection of environment: SC
- Day round-up: Golden boy Amlan shatters Games record in 200m twice, Hima takes silver
- China keen on importing donkeys, dogs from Pakistan: Officials
- Netizens slam Flipkart over massive cancellation following Big Billion Days Sale