Two persons—an alleged history-sheeter dacoit and a murder accused in police custody—were shot dead by Assam Police in two separate incidents.
On the intervening night of Saturday and Sunday, Nagaon Police shot dead 47-year-old Jainul Abedin at Salkatee pathar under Dhing police station, while hours earlier, Chirang Police shot dead Abdul Khalek after he “tried to flee” from police custody. Khalek was arrested on charges of murder of home guard Eyad Ali.
Talking to Eastmojo, superintendent of Nagaon Police Anand Mishra said based on specific information about the presence of an armed dacoit at his residence, they launched a police team. “The police cordoned his residence, and when challenged him to give up his arms, he fired on the police team.”
In retaliatory fire, Abedin sustained bullet injuries and died on the way to the hospital. “Police recovered a 7.65 mm pistols, three live rounds with one in the chamber and two fired cases,” said Mishra, adding, “There was information coming that Abedin, a history-sheeter, was planning a dacoity. We were looking for him for the past 10 days.”
Earlier, Chirang police tweeted: Within 24 hrs Chirang Police cracked the case of the brutal murder of Home Guard Eyad Ali. 3 persons arrested & the murder weapons were recovered. In an attempt to flee from Police custody, escaping accused Abdul Khalek sustained bullet injuries and later succumbed to his injuries.
Since the formation of the new government, at least 13 suspected insurgents and criminals have been killed, and dozens accused in police custody, including rape accused and cattle smugglers, have been injured in police firing.
- Forced religious conversion against Constitution: SC
- Twitter lifted its ban on COVID misinformation – research shows this is a grave risk to public health
- Examine representation on framing of same rules for organ transplant: SC
- Regional arms race vs Kim’s desire for NKorea to be nuclear superpower
- Why Uyghurs, who suffered China’s COVID policies most, won’t protest
- FIFA World Cup 2022: Round of 16 matches on December 6