A day after Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said a Police shootout ‘should be the pattern’ if the accused try to flee, Assam Police opened fire to foil an attempt of cattle smuggling in Dhubri.
According to a source, police resorted to opening fire to stop the smuggling of 12 cows to Bangladesh. They also seized two boats.
“We received information of attempts to smuggle cattle via a boat. Our team immediately reached the spot and carried out an inspection of the boats and the cattle,” the source said.
“That is when we noticed two boats near the bridge and fired two rounds. The offender(s) managed to escape, but we seized two boats and 12 cattle. They were likely planning to smuggle the cattle across Bangladesh from Gauripur,” the source added.
- Picked for India, Manipur footballer’s fate hangs in passport office’s hands
- LDP merges with Congress in Assam
- Assam cash for job scam: 57 civil servants arrested, dismissed
- Sarma launches Mission Lifestyle for Environment’ in Assam
- Over 30 projects being executed under Smart City Mission: Mizoram DyCM
- New Catfish species discovered in Arunachal