Tinsukia: A doctor working at the Assam Medical College and Hospital (AMCH) in Dibrugarh district has been arrested by police on charges of alleged rape of a doctor.
Dr Sunmoni Bhuyan, a registrar in the surgical unit of the AMCH and a resident of the Dhemaji district, was arrested on Monday.
Shwetank Mishra, Superintendent of Dibrugarh Police, said the victim, a government doctor, has filed a case of sexual assault against the accused who committed the offence on the pretext of marrying her. “Based on the complaint, the accused has been arrested today after interrogation. The accused was in a relationship with the victim, who is a resident of Sivasagar district, and presently posted in another district since 2018 and has denied to marry her,” Mishra added.
According to police sources, the accused doctor had filed an assault case against the victim (in the present rape case) a few days ago, and a summon was issued to the lady doctor accused in the assault case. “It is after the summon was issued that she filed a rape case against the doctor (complainant in the assault case) with Dibrugarh police,” sources added, giving a new dimension to the incident.
Dibrugarh Police registered a case under section 406/376/384 of the Indian Penal Code and are investigating the case.
On June 24, another doctor, practising at a private hospital in Dibrugarh, was arrested for raping his colleague at the workplace after lacing her drink with an intoxicant.
- Assam: Biswanath girl, in shorts, made to wrap curtain to sit for exam
- Not an inch should be given to Assam: Meghalaya Opposition
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19
- Madras High Court stays certain sub-clauses of new IT Rules
- Virat Kohli will step down as T20 Captain after World Cup In Dubai