Tinsukia: A 34-year-old doctor was arrested on Thursday for allegedly raping a colleague in Assam‘s Dibrugarh district.
The accused, a resident of Dibrugarh, was practising at a private hospital in the upper Assam town. According to sources, he was on duty at the COVID-19 ward of the private hospital for the past few months.
“Nayan Jyoti Deka did his MBBS from Assam Medical College & Hospital (AMCH) and is married,” added the sources.
Confirming the development, Dibrugarh SP Shwetank Mishra said that based on a complaint lodged by the victim on Thursday morning, the police registered a case of rape and arrested the doctor.
“According to the complaint, the incident took place on Wednesday night at their workplace,” he said. The duo were doctors at Dibrugarh’s Sanjeevani Hospital.
“The medical examination of the victim has been conducted and reports are awaited,” Mishra said, adding, “The accused doctor is under interrogation.”
According to sources, a case has been registered under Section 376 (rape) and 328 (causing harm) of the IPC at Barbari police outpost under Dibrugarh police station.
Meanwhile, the OC of Dibrugarh police station, Rajiv Saikia, told media persons that the incident happened inside the doctor’s chamber at Sanjeevani Hospital.
“The medical examination of the accused is being conducted,” he added.
- China seals city as its worst COVID-19 outbreak in a year grows
- Meghalaya-Assam border row: ‘Give & take’ policy not acceptable, says Cong MLA
- Meet the jury members of Northeast Launchpad
- NGT directs Meghalaya govt to file affidavit on action taken against illegal miners
- Meghalaya to follow same strategy to deal with COVID-19: New health minister
- Wrestler Deepak loses semifinal, to fight for bronze now