Tinsukia: Bubu Konwar, one of the most wanted criminals of Assam, was killed in an encounter with the police when he tried to break the police cordon and flee from the outskirts of Geleky in Assam’s Sivasagar district on Wednesday evening.
Konwar, who was 45 years old, had 14 criminal cases, including murder, across various police stations in Sivasagar district alone.
Confirming the development, the superintendent of Sivasagar police Rakesh Raushan said, based on specific information about the presence of Bubu Konwar for an arms and drugs deal, a team of police laid an ambush in the outskirts of Geleky.
Around 6.30 pm, police spotted two persons on a two-wheeler and asked them to stop. “They opened fire on the police team and tried to escape. In retaliation fire by the police, Konwar sustained bullet injury and was declared brought dead by doctors at Geleki hospital,” Raushan said, adding, “Police has recovered one 7.65 mm pistol, one magazine, five live ammunitions, some fired cases of bullet and a scooter from the spot.”
His accomplice, however, fled from the spot.
According to sources, Konwar was also booked in NSA in 2013. “He has over 45 criminal cases against him at various police station in Assam including car lifting, murder, arms dealing, drugs among others,” added sources.
- Meghalaya to follow same strategy to deal with COVID-19: New health minister
- Wrestler Deepak loses semifinal, to fight for bronze now
- Meghalaya Lottery August 4: Check Future Flush Noon lottery result
- Nagaland Lottery August 4: Check Dear Mercury Wednesday lottery result
- Ravi Dahiya ensures fourth medal for India with sensational ‘pin down’
- Mizoram Lottery August 4: Check Prospect Day lottery result