Anandaram Dhekial Phukan was one of the most eminent literary figures of the early 19th century Assam. He devoted his life to the development of the state and inspired people to preserve and respect the Assamese language.
Today, on his death anniversary, leaders in Assam honoured his tireless contribution in preserving and protecting the culture of the state.
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma took to Twitter to pay homage to Phukandev.
Sarma wrote in Assamese, “Today is the death anniversary of Anandaram Dhekiyal Phukandev, one of the greatest Assamese and language protection fighters of all time. Today, the dreamers of modern Assam, who have worked tirelessly for the preservation of the identity of the Assamese language as well as its introduction, were honored on the occasion of Holy Memorial Day.”
Former Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal also paid his tributes on Twitter. He said, “The architect of modern Assam, Anandaram Dhekial Phukan initiated social reforms and a revolution in Assamese literature. Tributes to the colossus of our cultural life on his death anniversary.”
9 things to know about the Assamese laureate
- Anandaram Dhekial Phukan was born in September 24, 1829, in Guwahati to the well-known ‘Dhekial Phuka’n family.
- Anandaram Dhekial Phukan died at the young age of thirty on June 18, 1859.
- His father was Haliram Dhekial Phukan, who worked as an Assistant Magistrate.
- In 1846, Phukan got married to Mahindri Phukanani.
- Owing to his contributions to Assamese literature, Anandaram Dhekial Phukan is also called the “Father of Assamese Prose”.
- Phukan completed his schooling from Guwahati, Assam.
- In 1849, Anandaram Dhekial Phukan got appointed as Dewan to Bijni Raj Estate.
- He also served as Sub-Assistant Commissioner.
- Anandaram Dhekial Phukan used to write in the pages of Arunudoi, the first Assamese language journal. His other literary works include ‘Englandor Biboron’, ‘Asomiya Lorar Mitra’, ‘Asamiya Bhasa aru Asam Desar Desiya Bhasa aru Siksa’ etc.
- Centre to appoint CS with working knowledge of Mizo language: Zoramthanga
- Repeal AFSPA, deliver justice: Kohima residents take to streets
- AFSPA misused, should be repealed: Arunachal Congress MLA Ering
- India talks ‘unprovoked’ aggression by China along border at ‘2+2’ with Russia
- Teaser of Puneeth Rajkumar’s dream project ‘Gandhada Gudi’ released
- Hateful posts: Kangana seeks time to appear before Delhi Assembly panel