Kokrajhar/Dhubri: Two minor sisters were found hanging from a tree in a village in Kokrajhar district of Assam with their family members claiming that they were raped and killed, police said on Saturday.
The incident took place inside a small forest in Abhayakuti village, where the bodies of the two siblings were recovered late on Friday evening, a senior police officer said.
The bodies were sent to Kokrajhar Civil Hospital for post-mortem examination, he said.
“A case has been registered. A preliminary investigation suggested that the two girls suspectedly ended their lives. We will be able to tell after receiving the post-mortem reports,” the officer said.
Villagers were shocked at the incident, while the family members and relatives of the two girls claimed that they were raped and killed.
Locals also said the two sisters were missing since Friday afternoon.
- Limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees not plausible: Report
- Tripura 2023: 259 candidates remain in fray for Assembly polls
- How big data and big dollars are changing cricket
- Budget 2023-24 has very little for marginalised sections: Rights groups
- Meghalaya 2023: NPP Garo Hills candidates file nominations
- India’s push for climate finance in Eco Survey reflects its stance as G20 President