The body of Sohaib Akhtar, a resident of Gareki village, was recovered from a water body under the Rupahihat police station.
Following the death of Akhtar, angry villagers took his dead body and gheraoed the police station. The police initially resorted to lathi charge but soon resorted to firing tear gas shells after the situation turned more volatile when the mob started pelting stones at the police station.
Anand Mishra, superintendent of police, Nagaon, a proper investigation will be carried out in the death of Akhtar.
“As per our preliminary information, there were activities of gambling taking place. After the police reached the spot, everyone dispersed,” Mishra said.
“Why did they have to run? The incident took place during the scurry. We will investigate what happened before that. By tomorrow we will know what happened,” he added.
However, locals say there was a cricket match going on, not illegal gambling. When the police reached the spot, they indiscriminately beat everyone for defying the lockdown.
“The police vehicle reached the spot and went on a rampage, beating everyone. That is when the police hit him (Akhtar) and he fell in the water. The police did not even recover his body. You can see there is a mark on his head,” said a local.
- 10 ULB militants arrested in Assam
- Lakhs of crores of rupees donated to PM-CARES, where is that money, asks Mamata
- Assam: More DNLA cadre come overground after signing accord
- Assam CM to move Gauhati HC for judicial inquiry into Sipajhar violence
- Home-grown artisans showcase creativity at 2nd Nagaland handmade jewellery exhibition
- China declares all cryptocurrency transactions illegal