The body of Sohaib Akhtar, a resident of Gareki village, was recovered from a water body under the Rupahihat police station.
Following the death of Akhtar, angry villagers took his dead body and gheraoed the police station. The police initially resorted to lathi charge but soon resorted to firing tear gas shells after the situation turned more volatile when the mob started pelting stones at the police station.
Anand Mishra, superintendent of police, Nagaon, a proper investigation will be carried out in the death of Akhtar.
“As per our preliminary information, there were activities of gambling taking place. After the police reached the spot, everyone dispersed,” Mishra said.
“Why did they have to run? The incident took place during the scurry. We will investigate what happened before that. By tomorrow we will know what happened,” he added.
However, locals say there was a cricket match going on, not illegal gambling. When the police reached the spot, they indiscriminately beat everyone for defying the lockdown.
“The police vehicle reached the spot and went on a rampage, beating everyone. That is when the police hit him (Akhtar) and he fell in the water. The police did not even recover his body. You can see there is a mark on his head,” said a local.
- Strengthen ties among SCO nations to combat infectious diseases: India
- 8 everyday foods that are ultra processed. Here’s how to spot them
- IIT Mandi develops new tech to make military equipment invisible to radar
- PM urges global investors to explore Indian energy sector
- Budget a ‘silent strike’ on poor by Modi govt: Sonia Gandhi
- We want to diversify ties with India: Russian Ambassador Alipov