Guwahati: Assam boxer Lovlina Borgohain has sealed a berth at the Tokyo Olympics, becoming the first female athlete from the state to qualify for the coveted games.
She will be competing in the Women’s 69kg Welterweight category at the 2020 Summer Olympics to be held in Tokyo, Japan between July and August this year.
Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma announced the news on Twitter. He wrote: “A matter of great joy and pride for us as @LovlinaBorgohai becomes the first woman pugilist from Assam to qualify for the #Olympics.
My heartiest Congratulations to you Lovlina. You have our finest wishes for the big moment.
May you continue to shine and succeed.”
Assam MP Pallab Loachan Das also congratulated the pugilists on the qualification. He tweeted, “My heartfelt congratulations to @LovlinaBorgohai on becoming the first boxer from #Assam to qualify for the #TokyoOlympics.
The whole nation is proud of your incredible achievements. My best wishes to her for more future accomplishments & #Tokyo2020.”
- Minor earthquake jolts Arunchal Pradesh
- Charanjit Singh Channi to be next CM of Punjab
- Biden pitching partnership after tough stretch with allies
- Young Indians are highly vulnerable to cardiac ailments: Here’s why
- Witnesses say explosion targets Taliban, 2nd in as many days
- Assam: This social entrepreneur duo is building communities with tea and art