On Wednesday, health workers in Assam boycotted OPD services in protest against the brutal assault on a doctor on COVID duty. Dr Seuj Kumar Senapati, posted at Udali Model Hospital in Assam’s Hojai district, was attacked by the family members of a deceased COVID-19 patient on Tuesday afternoon.
In the video circulated on social media, the mob is seen kicking and hitting the doctor with a metal object. “Health workers are sacrificing their lives for the treatment of COVID-19 patients. If in such a situation, such an assault occurs, how are we supposed to work?” said Dr Naba Kumar Chakraborty, Superintendent of Goreswar CHC.
Throughout the day, there was a massive uproar from various hospitals in Assam, demanding the safety of health workers. Tezpur Medical Hospital staged a protest appealing to the government to provide doctors with security guards in remote areas. The barbaric act drew widespread condemnation in Assam.
- PM urges global investors to explore Indian energy sector
- Budget a ‘silent strike’ on poor by Modi govt: Sonia Gandhi
- We want to diversify ties with India: Russian Ambassador Alipov
- 108 South Koreans on pilgrimage of Buddhist sites in India, Nepal
- Soon, train passengers can order food via WhatsApp
- Italy-based Indian man held for impersonating Vice President