On Wednesday, health workers in Assam boycotted OPD services in protest against the brutal assault on a doctor on COVID duty. Dr Seuj Kumar Senapati, posted at Udali Model Hospital in Assam’s Hojai district, was attacked by the family members of a deceased COVID-19 patient on Tuesday afternoon.
In the video circulated on social media, the mob is seen kicking and hitting the doctor with a metal object. “Health workers are sacrificing their lives for the treatment of COVID-19 patients. If in such a situation, such an assault occurs, how are we supposed to work?” said Dr Naba Kumar Chakraborty, Superintendent of Goreswar CHC.
Throughout the day, there was a massive uproar from various hospitals in Assam, demanding the safety of health workers. Tezpur Medical Hospital staged a protest appealing to the government to provide doctors with security guards in remote areas. The barbaric act drew widespread condemnation in Assam.
- Under Taliban, thriving Afghan music scene heads to silence
- Death toll due to dengue in UP’s Firozabad rises to 63
- Vital Signs: a simple way to cut carbon emissions don’t let polluters hide
- Lawyers abstain from work a day after shootout at Rohini court
- Kerala to open digital de-addiction centres for children addicted to online games
- APDCL cash-for-job scam: OSD among 11 people arrested