Karimganj: Two persons died, after a boat capsized at Sonbeel in Ramkrishnagar circle of southern Assam’s Karimganj district around 4.30 pm on Wednesday.
While three people on the boat, out of the five, managed to swim back to safety, 10-year-old Hasi Das and her quinquagenarian aunt Ujjala Das could not be saved and drowned.
The boat with the five persons was going from Kalyanpur to Fakua, two remote villages of the district, when the incident took place.
The bodies were recovered after 15 hours of a search operation on Thursday morning, jointly by deep divers and an SDRF team of Karimganj district. They have been sent for autopsy, an official source said.
Meanwhile, Ratabari MLA Bijoy Malakar, under whose constituency the area falls, rushed to the spot on Thursday morning and oversaw the rescue operation. “The chief minister has taken note of the accident and expressed pain at the loss of lives. He asked me to send the necessary details of the accident and to initiate the process of financial assistance to the family.
Son Beel, also called as Shon Bill, is the second largest seasonal wetland in Asia and the largest in Assam. The lake gives a picturesque landscape with hills on both the eastern and western sides, making it a first choice of tourism in Assam’s Barak Valley.
- Minor earthquake jolts Arunchal Pradesh
- Charanjit Singh Channi to be next CM of Punjab
- Biden pitching partnership after tough stretch with allies
- Young Indians are highly vulnerable to cardiac ailments: Here’s why
- Witnesses say explosion targets Taliban, 2nd in as many days
- Assam: This social entrepreneur duo is building communities with tea and art