Guwahati: BJP MLA Numal Momin was on Monday elected unopposed as the deputy speaker of 15th Assam Legislative Assembly.
Speaker Biswajit Daimary said that three nominations from the constituents of the ruling coalition the BJP, Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) and the United People’s Party Liberal (UPPL) — were filed proposing Momin’s name for the post and no application was received from the opposition.
“As there is no other nomination against Momin, I declare him as the uncontested winner for the post of Deputy Speaker… I congratulate him,” Daimary said.
Also read: Assam cop wears PPE kit to shift COVID-19 patient to hospital
Momin was elected to the Assembly for the second consecutive time from the Bokajan seat.
On May 21, Daimary was elected unopposed as the Speaker of the 15th Assam Legislative Assembly.
- Here’s how India’s warming nights impact health
- Manipur: Lawyer, businessman file plea in SC against internet ban
- Meghalaya buying power worth Rs 3 crore every day: CM Sangma
- Pakistan may pull out of Asia Cup after SL, Afghan, Bangladesh reject ‘Hybrid Model’
- Odisha train crash: Assam man recalls co-traveler’s severed head on chest
- Meghalaya Cabinet to amend memo on roster system