Guwahati: The mother of a four-year-old broke down in front of Assam chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Thursday after her child succumbed to COVID-19. The mother approached the chief minister during his visit to Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed Medical College and Hospital (FAAMCH) in Barpeta to review COVID-19 treatment facilities.
In the video, the mother can be seen crying uncontrollably and says, “My child was only 4 years old.”
The chief minister consoled the parent and directed officials to initiate the formalities and make arrangements to hand over the child’s body to the family.
This was also Sarma’s first visit to Barpeta after taking charge as the chief minister of Assam. The CM asked the FAAMCH authorities to ramp up RT-PCR tests at least by 20 per cent of total Rapid Antigen Tests. He also asked them to intensify the vaccination drive.
“We will start a 15-bedded ICU in the next two to three days. Also, we will take steps to send 50 concentrators by today itself. I have also asked the joint director and the deputy commissioner to keep a check on the number of RTPCR tests done in the district,” said Sarma.
The chief minister also mentioned that the positivity rate in Assam had come down to 6 per cent from 14 per cent in the past couple of days. He expressed optimism about bringing the COVID-19 situation in the state under control if the trend continues.
- Assam: G20 delegates mesmerised by diverse culture and hospitality
- India, France, UAE unveil plan for cooperation under trilateral framework
- Sri Lanka must correct its ‘errors and failures’: President at 75th I-Day
- Nagaland govt restrict drugs sale to fight drug menace, pharma trafficking
- Assam: Chargesheet against doctors, magistrate in minor’s murder case
- Nagaland: Rs. 28.96 cr in cash, IMFL, drugs seized ahead of Assembly polls