Guwahati: After sending a message to a friend that she had been subjected to sexual assault, a 14- year-old girl allegedly died by suicide in the house of a college teacher in Assam‘s Chirang district, the police said on Tuesday.
The assistant professor of a college in Bengtol, at whose house she had been staying for around a year for the purpose of studying, was arrested on charges of rape and abetment to suicide.
The police in a statement said that the minor girl was found dead on Monday but the matter was not informed to the authorities.
The teacher and her family members were trying to perform her last rites when the police, after getting a tip- off from someone, reached the spot and stopped them. The body was sent for post-mortem.
During the investigation, it was found that the girl had sent a message through a social networking platform to a friend saying she did not want to live anymore as she had been subjected to sexual assault, the statement said.
The accused who was also booked for causing disappearance of evidence and under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, was remanded to three days’ police custody by a local court.
- Sri Lanka apprehends 24 Indian fishermen, Stalin writes to Centre
- Arunachal CM urges people to stop migrating from border areas
- ‘The Kashmir Files’ vulgar, propaganda movie: IFFI jury head at closing ceremony
- BSF shoots down drone along India-Pak border in Amritsar
- Garena’s Free Fire Max Redeem Codes for 29 November, 2022
- Opposition SDF launches ‘Sikkim Bachao Abhiyan’