In a shocking incident in Diphu, the headquarters of Karbi-Anglong district of Assam, unidentified gunmen gunned down a youth in broad daylight on Saturday.
The deceased was identified as Debajit Sinha, a resident from the Sitalabari area of Diphu town.
“The incident took place at Diphu-Dhansiri Road while Debajit and his girlfriend were on their way to Diphu on a motorbike. Two unidentified people blocked their way, shot him, and ran away with his motorbike,” a source from the local police station informed.
The source said that the miscreants had used a .22 pistol, “investigation is underway, we are not in a position to say who is involved” the source added. Police have found three empty shells from the spot.
According to Debajit’s ‘girlfriend’, the incident happened around 10.30 when they were stopped by two men. After an altercation, first, the duo slapped Debajit, and then shot him.
“They said that they saw us coming out of the jungle and we did something wrong. We answered that we didn’t do any such thing and we are siblings…they snatched our phones away and said that they will take his bike away” the girl said.
No one has been arrested in this connection till the filing of this report. Police says it has intensified operations to nab the culprits involved in the incident.
Meanwhile, Debajit’s bike has been recovered from Purana Bazar at Dimapur in Nagaland.
- Minor earthquake jolts Arunchal Pradesh
- Charanjit Singh Channi to be next CM of Punjab
- Biden pitching partnership after tough stretch with allies
- Young Indians are highly vulnerable to cardiac ailments: Here’s why
- Witnesses say explosion targets Taliban, 2nd in as many days
- Assam: This social entrepreneur duo is building communities with tea and art