Guwahati: Veteran journalist and eminent litterateur Homen Borgohain passed away in the early hours of Wednesday at GNRC Hospital in Guwahati. He was 89.
According to reports, he suffered a cardiac arrest and was rushed to GNRC. Borgohain had tested positive for COVID-19 on April 24 and had returned home after beating the virus.
Expressing grief on his death, Chief Minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma said, “The Assamese people have lost one guardian today .” He announced that Borgohain’s funeral will be carried out with state honours. Education minister Ranuj Pegu has been assigned to undertake necessary.
A stalwart in the literary field, Homen Borgohain was the former preisdent of Asom Sahitya Sabha. He served as an Assam Civil Service (ACS) officer before being inducted as the editor-in-chief of Assamese daily ‘Niyomiya Barta’.
The litterateur was also awarded the 1978 Sahitya Akademi Award in Assamese language for his novel ‘Pita Putra’.
His death has left a huge void and leaders from across the state have condoled his death.
Also Read | Assam 2021: Akhil Gogoi gets court permission to take oath
- Meira Paibis form human chain ‘to safeguard territorial integrity’ of Manipur
- Mamata visiting Odisha train tragedy victims to get political dividend: BJP
- Tripura: Kamalasagar-Kasba border haat likely to reopen by July
- Active Covid cases in country decrease to 2,831
- It’s time to move beyond the welfare state to the wellbeing state
- Sikkim: 7 people injured in multi-vehicle collision in Ranipool