Guwahati: Veteran journalist and eminent litterateur Homen Borgohain passed away in the early hours of Wednesday at GNRC Hospital in Guwahati. He was 89.
According to reports, he suffered a cardiac arrest and was rushed to GNRC. Borgohain had tested positive for COVID-19 on April 24 and had returned home after beating the virus.
Expressing grief on his death, Chief Minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma said, “The Assamese people have lost one guardian today .” He announced that Borgohain’s funeral will be carried out with state honours. Education minister Ranuj Pegu has been assigned to undertake necessary.
A stalwart in the literary field, Homen Borgohain was the former preisdent of Asom Sahitya Sabha. He served as an Assam Civil Service (ACS) officer before being inducted as the editor-in-chief of Assamese daily ‘Niyomiya Barta’.
The litterateur was also awarded the 1978 Sahitya Akademi Award in Assamese language for his novel ‘Pita Putra’.
His death has left a huge void and leaders from across the state have condoled his death.
- India sees over 18K new COVID-19 cases, 160 deaths
- Humbling experience: Salma Hayek on playing superhero in her 50s
- Right to seek default’ bail indefeasible part of right to personal liberty: HC
- CoWIN can be customised, scaled up for health interventions: MEA official
- Sikkim reports 17 fresh COVID-19 cases, one new fatality
- Arunachal a goldmine for adventure tourism: Mountaineer Anshu Jamsenpa