Tinsukia: A minor boy has reportedly died after sustaining serious injuries when an abandoned grenade blasted at the Kotha Sema village between Jagun and Bordumsa in Assam‘s Tinsukia district on Tuesday morning.
The incident happened at about 9:30 am and the police has identified the injured as 12-year-old Suraj Hajong.
Confirming the blast, deputy inspector general of police (NE Region) Jitmal Doley said, “According to preliminary reports, the boy was heading towards school when he found an abandoned grenade. The blast occurred when he lifted the grenade.”
“A team of police has rushed to the spot and more details will be available soon,” Doley said.
According to sources, the boy was rushed to the civil hospital at Margherita in critical condition. He later succumbed to his injuries at the hospital.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
- Sikkim logs 40 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality
- Fixed-wing flight services to remote towns of Arunachal Pradesh
- PM urges people to ensure no one is left out of vaccination’s ‘circle of safety’
- Sikkim districts to undergo nomenclature change: CM Golay
- How this social entrepreneur is championing love for voiceless animals
- Assam: 5 of 6 accused deny charges of instigating Gorukhuti violence