Tinsukia: Ajoy Sahu, the principal of Salt Brook Academy in Assam‘s Dibrugarh district, succumbed to COVID-19 on Monday, said reports.
The deceased was a resident of Moran in Dibrugarh.
The development came on a day when Assam government cancelled the Higher Secondary first-year examinations amid a surge in number of COVID-19 cases in most districts, including Dibrugarh. The state registered 48 deaths due to COVID-19 on Sunday.
Sahu was being treated at Assam Medical College and Hospital (AMCH) for COVID-19 and was declared dead on Monday morning. “He had diabetes mellitus (DM) with hypertension and chronic obstructive airway disease (COAD),” AMCH superintendent Prasanta Dihingia told EastMojo.
On Sunday, Dibrugarh recorded 8.34% positivity rate with 216 fresh cases of COVID-19 out of 2,590 tests.
Also read: Amid chaos, Assam sets ‘common’ time for booking vaccine slots
- LDP merges with Congress in Assam
- Assam cash for job scam: 57 civil servants arrested, dismissed
- Sarma launches Mission Lifestyle for Environment’ in Assam
- Over 30 projects being executed under Smart City Mission: Mizoram DyCM
- New Catfish species discovered in Arunachal
- 11 dead as powerful 6.8 magnitude earthquake jolts Pakistan, Afghanistan