Guwahati: Assam Health, Finance and Education Minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma took stock of the Ulubari cremation ground in Guwahati. On Wednesday alone, 17 bodies were cremated at the Ulubari cremation ground, 7 at the Bhootnath cremation ground and 5 were buried at Athgaon Kabarsthan in Guwahati.
Speaking to the media, the minister expressed concern over the increasing number of deaths. He said, “The percentage of death against the number of cases seems much lower, but if we look at the figure, it is very high. 55 deaths in a day is a large figure,” Sarma added.
On Wednesday, Assam reported 55 fatalities due to COVID-19, the highest single-day figure, pushing the coronavirus death toll to 1,485.
Kamrup (Metro) reported the highest number with 18 deaths, followed by 6 in Barpeta, 3 each in Goalpara, Sonitpur and Nagaon, 2 each in Bongaigaon, Cachar, Dhemaji, Kamrup (Rural), Kokrajhar and Sivasagar and 1 each in Charaideo, Darrang, Dibrugarh, Hojai, Jorhat, Karimganj, Lakhimpur, Nalbari and Tinsukia.
The state registered 4,826 new COVID-19 cases as of Wednesday, which took the tally to 2,72,751.
- 108 South Koreans on pilgrimage of Buddhist sites in India, Nepal
- Soon, train passengers can order food via WhatsApp
- Italy-based Indian man held for impersonating Vice President
- 3 killed in collision between ambulance, truck in Siliguri
- CBI nabs 2 NF Railway engineers in bribery case
- Meghalaya 2023: 11 candidates from 3 EGH constituencies file nominations