Matang Singh, a former Congress leader and a former central government minister has died following a liver disease.
Singh was elected to Rajya Sabha from Assam in 1992 and served as union minister of state in parliamentary affairs from 1994 to 1998. Singh was arrested by the CBI on January 31 on charges of criminal conspiracy, cheating and misappropriation of more than Rs 28 crore in the Saradha Ponzi scheme. Although relatively unknown in the rest of India, he was well known in Assam as a TV tycoon.
His ex-wife Manoranjana Singh was also found to be involved in the scam.
Matang Singh was born in 1962 to SP Singh and Rani Rukmini Singh in Tinsukia, Assam.
- Jagdish Mukhi takes oath as 20th governor of Nagaland
- Murky water: Meghalaya MLA goes all guns blazing at minister
- GoPro Hero 10 Black launched. Check specifications, price, more
- Nagaland Lottery September 17: Check Dear Hooghly Morning lottery result
- Congress celebrates PM’s birthday as #NationalUnemploymentDay, Twitterati play along
- Modi calls for SCO template to fight radicalisation, extremism