Silchar: A woman was killed and two others were injured in Assam’s Cachar district after a car hit a pole, snapping live wires which then fell on an auto-rickshaw, setting it on fire, police said.
The incident happened on Sunday night at Lathigram in the Udharbond police station area, said the police.
A car hit an electricity pole along the Silchar-Haflong Road, snapping the live wires. The wires then fell on an autorickshaw behind it, setting the vehicle on fire, they added.
According to officials, two people, including the autorickshaw driver, escaped with injuries. But a woman passenger identified as Runu Begum (25) could not get out and was charred to death inside the autorickshaw.
The injured are Runu’s husband Teramoni Barbhuiya and the driver of the autorickshaw Bapan Hussain.
A fire brigade team reached the spot and doused the blaze.
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19
- Madras High Court stays certain sub-clauses of new IT Rules
- Virat Kohli will step down as T20 Captain after World Cup In Dubai
- US, UK, Australia launch new trilateral Indo-Pacific alliance to counter China
- Farmers suffering, govt is nowhere, say Meghalaya MLAs