Guwahati: Rajasthan Royals cricketer Riyan Parag, a first-time voter who was appointed as one of the state icons to encourage people to exercise their franchise during Assam Assembly Elections 2021, failed to cast his vote.
Speaking with EastMojo, his mother, Mithu Baruah Das said, “He is currently in a bio-bubble, as Indian Premier League starts from April 9.”
She said once he comes out of the bubble, he has to quarantine for 7 days, however, his first match on April 12.
On whether he could opt for the postal ballot, Das said, “He does not qualify for it.” She had also clarified about the same with authorities.
Riyan Parag was one of the four Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) icons for state elections along with actor Kapil Bora, singer Anindita Paul and para- cyclist Rakesh Banik.
According to reports, the other icons had cast their votes in their respective constituencies.
Assam recorded over 82% votes in the 40 Legislative Assembly Constituencies (LACs) which went to the polls in the third and final phase on Tuesday.
- Assam: AIUDF chief challenges stereotyping of Muslims in state
- Sikkim: Ruling SKM protests SC’s ‘Nepali immigrant’ verdict
- Tripura polls: BJP’s key poll plank will be development, says Assam CM
- Khelo India Youth Games to commence in Madhya Pradesh
- Go Green: Nagaland bride shuns flower waste for organic veggies
- Gandhi’s image is under scrutiny 75 years after his assassination