The woman, who was on her way with a relative to attend a wedding function in the village, was allegedly abducted by four men. The relative, who somehow managed to escape, narrated the ordeal to the villagers and the police.
“We received information about abduction of a woman while she going with her relative to attend a marriage function,” officer-in-charge of Duliajan police station Roopjyoti Dutta told EastMojo.
The accused, identified as Biki Mandal (23), Bircha Munda (23), Emil Dhan (23) and Krishna Orang (22), were arrested during raids on Monday and sent to jail.
“Police formed a special team, identified the culprits and arrested the four youths from different locations in Tininong Chapatoli within 12 hours of the crime,” Dutta said.
According to the victim’s husband, she was four months pregnant.
“On being identified by the relative of the victim, who somehow managed to escape and narrated the ordeal to villagers, the accused took the police to an abandoned house where the victim was kept,” he added.
According to sources, the victim was gangraped before she was left abandoned in the house with her hands and legs tied with a rope.
“The woman medical examination has been carried out and the medical report is awaited for confirmation of rape.”
A case has been registered under various sections of the IPC and the accused have been produced before a local court and sent to judicial custody.
- Malignant: An outrageous re-tread of the classic 80s horror with the Midas touch of James Wan
- Limits on airfares to remain for 15 days at any given time: Aviation Ministry
- Fresh COVID-19 cases outnumber recoveries in Nagaland after 9 days
- Amarinder Singh resigns as Punjab CM; says ‘feel humiliated’
- Book explores historical and spiritual landscape of communities in Northeast
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?