The woman, who was on her way with a relative to attend a wedding function in the village, was allegedly abducted by four men. The relative, who somehow managed to escape, narrated the ordeal to the villagers and the police.
“We received information about abduction of a woman while she going with her relative to attend a marriage function,” officer-in-charge of Duliajan police station Roopjyoti Dutta told EastMojo.
The accused, identified as Biki Mandal (23), Bircha Munda (23), Emil Dhan (23) and Krishna Orang (22), were arrested during raids on Monday and sent to jail.
“Police formed a special team, identified the culprits and arrested the four youths from different locations in Tininong Chapatoli within 12 hours of the crime,” Dutta said.
According to the victim’s husband, she was four months pregnant.
“On being identified by the relative of the victim, who somehow managed to escape and narrated the ordeal to villagers, the accused took the police to an abandoned house where the victim was kept,” he added.
According to sources, the victim was gangraped before she was left abandoned in the house with her hands and legs tied with a rope.
“The woman medical examination has been carried out and the medical report is awaited for confirmation of rape.”
A case has been registered under various sections of the IPC and the accused have been produced before a local court and sent to judicial custody.
- Sikkim logs 40 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality
- Fixed-wing flight services to remote towns of Arunachal Pradesh
- PM urges people to ensure no one is left out of vaccination’s ‘circle of safety’
- Sikkim districts to undergo nomenclature change: CM Golay
- How this social entrepreneur is championing love for voiceless animals
- Assam: 5 of 6 accused deny charges of instigating Gorukhuti violence