Tinsukia: Ahead of Assembly polls in Assam later this month, a BJP booth president of Buridihing Gaon Panchayat in Assam’s Tinsukia district was stabbed to death late on Friday evening.
The deceased has been identified as 48-year-old Debananda Gogoi, a resident of Doomdooma Nogaon village under Bordumsa police station.
Sub-divisonal police officer of Margherita Puna Gogoi told EastMojo that the alleged accused, Joychandra Gogoi, is a resident of the same village has been arrested.
“He had fled the village and was arrested by a police team. We are in the process of registering a murder case,” Gogoi said.
Gogoi did not say if the accused was affiliated to a political party or if the incident was a result of political rivalry ahead of the Assembly elections later this month.
“It will be premature to comment as investigation has started and we are yet to interrogate the accused,” he added.
Sources said the motive behind the murder is still not clear and the murder weapon is yet to be recovered.
However, there are rumours on the ground that the accused could be linked to a political party. Margherita constituency is gearing up for a triangular contest between BJP (that gave ticket to sitting MLA Bhaskar Sarmah), Congress and Assam Jatiya Parishad (AJP), the later seeing an uprise in it’s support base.
- BJP workers attacking Raijor Dal workers: Akhil Gogoi
- Vincent Pala’s statement on jhum cultivation not based on facts: NESFAS
- Denmark Open: PV Sindhu loses in quarters
- Bar Himanta from by-poll campaign: Cong leader writes to poll panel
- Vaccination drive a success because of you all: Arunachal CM to healthcare workers
- Sheriff: Alec Baldwin fired prop gun on movie set, killing woman