Guwahati: To encourage female voters to exercise their franchise, the authorities have decided to set up 125 all-women polling booths in the Kamrup Metropolitan district of Assam, officials said on Tuesday.
These booths will be managed by women officials only, they said.
This initiative towards gender equality is an attempt to boost the participation of women in the electoral process, an election official said.
Also Read | Assam 2021: State breaks all pre-poll seizures in just 11 days
Ten such polling booths will be set up in the Jalukbari constituency, 65 in Guwahati (East), 20 in Guwahati (West), and 30 booths in the Dispur seat, she said.
The training for the women presiding officers and poll officials has commenced in Guwahati from March 6, and will continue till March 17, she added.
Assam will vote in three phases, beginning March 27.
The votes will be counted on May 2.
- Fast X review: proof that there’s method in madness of the franchise
- More looted arms recovered in violence-hit Manipur
- Assam: 3F Oil Palm collaborates with state govt for ceremonial plantation
- Naga club vandalism: Angamis urges NSF to withdraw FIR
- 57 arms, 318 ammunition, 5 bombs recovered in strife-torn Manipur
- 15 construction workers killed in vehicle collision in Bangladesh