Taking a strong note of the Assam government’s order for transfer of 12 IPS and 6 APS officers on Friday, the Election Commission (EC) on Saturday decided to keep the transfer and posting of these police officers in abeyance until further orders.
The Commission took the decision following the announcement of the Assembly election dates for four states, including Assam, and one Union Territory on Friday, which also kicked in “provisions of Model Code of Conduct with immediate effect.”
“The Commission vide its press note dated 26th February 2021, had announced the schedule of General Elections to Legislative Assemblies of Assam, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Puducherry. With this announcement, the provisions of Model Code of Conduct have come into force with immediate effect, which includes total ban on the transfers and postings of all officers connected with conduct of elections,” the Commission said.
It has come to the notice of Commission that the Assam government on February 26 2021 ordered the transfer of 12 IPS and 6 APS officers, EC said in its notification.
“The Commission has therefore decided to keep the transfer/posting of these police officers in abeyance till further orders,” the EC added in the notification.
According to Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora, the election to the 126 seats of Assam Assembly will take place in three phases.
In the first phase of polls to be held on March 27, a total of 47 Assembly constituencies will go to the polls.
The second phase will be held on April 1 in 39 Assembly constituencies.
In the third and final phase on April 6, a total of 40 Assembly constituencies will go to election in Assam.
The results will be declared on May 2.
- Scientists find tailor-made pocket feature shared by coronaviruses causing severe disease
- More than a story of treasures: revisiting Tutankhamun’s tomb 100 years after its discovery
- China holds first meeting with 19 countries in Indian Ocean region sans India
- Legislature, executive must enable liberty, equality, fraternity: CJI
- Guwahati: Assam down town University hosts HR conclave
- CAA will be implemented in West Bengal: BJP